[TowerTalk] Surge protection for equipment located at the entrance panel?

Alfred Frugoli alfred.frugoli at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 15:50:45 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be installing 2 remote coax switches in an enclosure where all
the coax enters the house (this enclosure will also serve as the single
point ground for my grounding system).  Two coax lines from the output of
the switches will enter the house and be protected by Polyphaser surge
suppressors (the 5 lines in from antennas will not protected at this point -
cost issue).  The control lines for the rotor will pass through a K5FD surge
suppressor.

My question is should the control lines for the two coax switches be
protected through some type of surge suppressor?  The switches could see
strike voltage since they are in the line before the coax suppressors, but
they are not out on the tower.

I'm not too concerned with keeping the switches protected from a surge - I
just don't want to leave an open door into the building through the switch
control lines.

73 de Al, KE1FO

-----
Visit my amateur radio contesting blog at ke1fo.wordpress.com.