[TowerTalk] Tower damaged by Hurricane Ike - where can Igethelp?

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Oct 8 20:22:22 EDT 2008

Joe - K8FC wrote:
> Just to weigh in on this from my prospective.  Homeowner policies are pretty
> comprehensive when it comes to personal property.  As Larry mentions,
> policies and coverage may vary state to state.  The organization who
> administers the insurance policies for the ARRL (Marsh) gets an additional
> 28% of the already high premium to insure your equipment for a year.  It
> would be prudent to check with your own home owners insurance broker to see
> what is covered in your own situation.  At the very least, you should have
> the ability to obtain a rider on your current policy to cover your
> particular concern.  In any event, this would be much cheaper than the high
> cost of the ARRL policy.
>
> Joe K8FC

Here in Michigan (at least with some companies) it's covered as an out
structure at 10% of the primary structure value.  That may not come near
the value of a big tower and antenna system.  (Figure the cost as if you
had to hire it done as you might). However the rider to cover mine as if
it were installed by a professional crew is a fraction of the ARRL
policy.  The last time I read my ARRL policy there were a LOT of
conditions where they wouldn't pay although I still consider it worth
having.  For one, I'd not want to have a claim for repairing or
replacing a radio against my homeowners insurance as those folks have
long memories.

73

Roger (K8RI)