[TowerTalk] N-connector double-D punch

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Oct 15 16:39:25 EDT 2008

Michael E Fox (N6MEF) wrote:
> I'm looking for what's called a "double-D" punch that is the correct size
> for N-type connectors.  This will be used to punch holes in bulkheads for
> installing either PolyPhaser DSXL lightening arrestors or N-type Amphenol
> bulkhead pass-through connectors.

I normally use Greenlee "knockout punches". The latest style split the
piece knocked out into two haves that look like the letter "D", but I've
never seen them called "double D".

OTOH material for bulkheads is normally thick enough I just use a drill
bit of the proper size, be it in steel or aluminum.  IOW it's a rather
small hole and punches for that size use a relatively small through bolt
(bout 1/4" to 5/16") that can be broken trying to punch holes in 1/8" to
1/4" thick, Aluminum, Copper, or steel. I've busted the bolts on chassis
punches for tube sockets, let alone this size and thickness.  Drill the
hole undersize, then work up to the proper size one drill at a time.
This gives a hole with relatively clean and smooth sides however don't
forget to debur the inside and outside. BTW the hole for the through
bolt on most of the punches is as large or larger than the bulkhead
connectors for N or UHF.  (Same size IIRC)

73

Roger (K8RI)