[TowerTalk] "Sluggo" Ground Rod driver

Robert Morris robrk at nidhog.net
Thu Oct 16 18:02:57 EDT 2008

Find the largest sledge hammer you can pick up. Knock out the wooden
handle, weld in place  3 or 4 feet of 1' pipe. On ground rod day, slide
pipe over rod, stand vertical,in the 1 foot hole you dug, push up on
pipe, then let go.
Repeat until rod is 2 feet tall. Tap in with hammer end. No ladders,
busted fingers or toes.

Bob Nielsen wrote:
> I bought a 6 in. length of  1 in. pipe and a cap at Home Depot which
> has worked fine for me at a cost of less than $5.00.  I figure that
> after a dozen or so ground rods I might have to replace the cap
> because of the sledge hammer abuse, but it does the job just fine,
> without any mushrooming of the rod.
>
> I got the ground rod over 4 feet into the ground of Bainbridge
> Island, WA without even using the sledge (I sure couldn't have done
> that when I lived in caliche-infested Tucson, Arizona).
>
> Bob, N7XY
>
> On Oct 16, 2008, at 1:50 PM, Tom Anderson wrote:
>
>> Fellow Tower Talkians:
>>
>> I just checked their web site and the MSRP is $119.95 which does
>> make it a bit pricey.
>>
>> Tom, WW5L

believed to be clean.