[TowerTalk] Almost killed putting up an antenna

Terrence R. Redding, Ph.D. terry at oltraining.com
Thu Oct 16 22:21:17 EDT 2008

I almost electrocuted myself installing a portable antenna while camping in
the woods at Fort Benning, Georgia.

I routinely setup my radio station each time I stop for the night.  I listen
to the shortwave bands at night, AM broadcast, and make contact with other
hams on a 40 meter net (7.169 MHz) early each morning.  Most parks, RV
sites, and WalMart parking lots have no overhead wires.  I know, I look.

Last month we traveled to Fort Benning for the graduation of a son in-law
from Basic Training. We arrived three hours later than I had expected.  It
had been a long drive and an even longer day. At near midnight I was setting
up my vertical on the tongue of the trailer.  The antenna is 26 feet tall
and weighs about 4 pounds.  After taking a few minutes to put it together I
jumped up on the tongue of the trailer to lift the antenna up on the four
foot mast.  This requires me to balance the antennas above my waist and
place the base on the vertical upright.

I am doing this out in the piney woods at Fort Benning, Georgia.  At their
RV park, near a lake with swimming, boating, and fishing.  Nice place.

As I was lifting the antenna ­ there was a huge flash, I felt the
electricity traveling through my arms and legs, and the next thing I knew, I
was on my back, on the ground, waking up paralyzed.

Ten or fifteen seconds later I started feeling my fingers against my chest,
my arms and hands were numb, I was unable to move them.  Once I could move
them - again still numb I tried to move them in front of my eyes to see if
there was any damage.  I knew I must have brushed up against high voltage
lines above the trailer in the dark.

My daughter¹s mother in-law came out of the trailer to see what caused the
flash and found me in the dark on the ground.  She asked if I was okay and I
said ³I think so,² still assessing my situation.  Later she explained that
as she came out of the travel trailer she could see electricity still
coursing on the surface of the ground near the front of the trailer. She, of
course was concerned and I started to explain what happened ­ which I am not
sure she understood.  A minute later I was able to stand, slowly, and hobble
to the trailer.  I got a flash light to see what happened.  That is when I
learned the high voltage lines feeding power to the park, and each RV site,
ran directly above the trailer pads on my side of the RV street.

I am an astronomer and had surveyed the sky above the trailer looking at the
stars and assessing the level of visibility and light pollution of the site.
I did not see the wires.

I have no idea what the voltage above is, its about 16 feet above the
ground, low enough for RVs to safely enter a space.  But not a safe place,
if you are sticking a 26 foot antenna in the air.  Later I was told that
most likely the voltage is in the range of 12,500 volts.

I seem to be okay.  I had a sprained foot, a hip and an elbow that got a bit
bunged up, but other wise fine.  Cognitive functions seem okay.  However, I
did take it easy for a few weeks and kept the foot elevated.

I teach ham radio classes, and always caution safety reference erecting
antennas.  The rule is never, never place an antenna where it might come in
contact with overhead power lines.  The voltage in overhead lines is often
high enough to literally blow things apart.  While on active duty in West
Germany I had the experience of investigating an accident involving a
communication vehicle and overhead power lines.  In that case, it was a
eight wheeled vehicle and trailer that houses an RTTY communications system.
The vehicle had its antenna up, a 14 foot fiberglass whip, and was
repositioning the vehicle trying to find a place on a small hill which might
provide better signal.  While moving the vehicle, the antenna came in
contact with high voltage overhead wire.  The resulting surge of electricity
blew out the eight tires on the vehicle and the two tires on the trailer.  I
arrived within minutes of the accident to see the tires burning.  I was
saved from that experience because my antenna just briefly touched the power
lines. .

This experience could have easily have ended with my death.  I was very
fortunate to be wearing tennis shoes, and to be on the trailer and not
standing on the ground when I made contact with the high voltage.  If I had
been on the ground, the voltage may well have been high enough to literally
have blown me apart.

Very scary.

Terry - W6LMJ