[TowerTalk] TIC RINGS

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Fri Oct 17 10:24:19 EDT 2008

NOTHING is 100% reliable... the best we can hope for is that things don't
fail too often in normal use.  Personally I maintain 5 TIC rings of various
vintages on 4 different towers and the only time that I have had a coax
ripped apart was because it got caught on a protrusion I must have missed,
or thought it could never get into, when I was installing the loop... but it
wasn't the ring's fault.  I did have to replace indicator pots on 2 of the
older 1022's, but none yet on the newer ones... my oldest one, a 1032
actually does have limit switches, it is one of the old gear tooth counting
digital controllers.  The limit switches are nice, but can be messed up by
ice, they can freeze open requiring a jumper in the shack to get the antenna
to turn off the stop.  And no, they won't turn when loaded with ice, but
then again neither will the regular rotors, and when things are that bad the
antennas don't work right anyway so we just make the best of what we have
and enjoy what we can do in the contests.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net