[TowerTalk] "Sluggo" Ground Rod driver

Tom Anderson andersonww5l at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 17 11:02:35 EDT 2008

 Harbor Freight seems to just carry chisels and pointed drill
 bits for the 1" drill driver.  Never seen one that will
 fit grounds.  Even looked at the Hitachi drill drivers (a
 lot more $$$) at Lowe's and they don't seem to have
 one either, at least in the display at the Lowe's
 I've been in.

 Tom, WW5L

 --- On Fri, 10/17/08, Larry Burke
> <wi5a at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > From: Larry Burke <wi5a at sbcglobal.net>
> > Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Sluggo" Ground Rod
> driver
> > To: towertalk at contesting.com
> > Date: Friday, October 17, 2008, 9:46 AM
> > Rich didn't say they did, but just to be
> clear..... The
> > ground rod driver
> > bit shown in the link will NOT fit the Harbor Freight
> > hammer drills. I have
> > yet to be able to find one that would. The Harbor
> Freight
> > drills use SDS
> > (not SDS Max) bits. What I ended up doing was taking
> one of
> > the fat concrete
> > chipper bits that came with the hammer drill and
> cutting
> > off the tip with an
> > angle grinder. I then slipped a piece of heater hose
> over
> > the bit, extending
> > it about 4 inches beyond the end of the tip,  and held
> it
> > in place with a
> > hose clamp. The heater hose does a fair job of keeping
> the
> > ground rod from
> > slipping off the modified hammer drill bit. This setup
> is
> > not as elegant as
> > a commercial bit, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper
> than
> > the SDS Max bits,
> > which don't fit the drill anyway.
> >
> > Larry K5RK