[TowerTalk] Detuning Booms ...

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 19 22:53:43 EDT 2008

Dink ... Email direct to you is not working.
Reply below via TowerTalk ... 73/bc/NU

>Hil Bill
>
>Billy Cox wrote:
>>Check your SWR on 10m, with the booms at 90 degrees to
>>each other ... that's another "got ya" to watch for.
>
>I'll check that
>
>>Does grounding/opening the 40m coax make any difference
>>as to the 20m SWR changes?
>
>The coax switch grounds the coax to the driven element but since
>the boom is the issue and it's insulated from the DE I wouldn't
>expect it to have an effect
>
>thansk!
>dink

Exactly my point ... as to making sure it IS the boom.
I ran into this when I was doing the planning on adding
2x 6m beams <above/below> a C31XR. At first the plan was
going to use 31' booms with insulated elements ... but
that had problems with 20m and 10m ... ended up going
with the same boom, but grounded elements to shift the
boom's resonant point off the desired freqs here.

73 de Billy, AA4NU