[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, LM-470 Installation Info Needed

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Wed Oct 22 11:48:59 EDT 2008

My two LM470 towers were purchased several years ago (Just after Triex
decided to stop making them) so the design might have been changed?  I also
had a HDX572 tower for comparison--both with their raising fixtures.

The HDX had a two pulley bracket welded to the tower up about 8' from the
bottom of the tower whereas the LM470 Mfr furnished
a temporary bracket for one pulley and a cable "sling" to temporarily bolt
the bracket to the tower up also about 8' from the bottom.

The HDX had two pulleys mounted at the top of their raising fixture whereas
the LM470 had only one pulley at the top of its raising fixture.  The cable
from the winch was strung up thru one of the raising fixture top pulleys,
then over thru one of pulleys in the weleded fixture and back thru the other
pulley at the top of raising fixture, back thru the other pulley on the
welded fixture and then
bolted to the top of the raising fixture.  The mechanical advantage was from
four pulleys (or is it only three?).  Whereas, the LM470 cable from the
winch went up over the pulley at the top of raising fixture (no mechanical
advantage) and over thru the sling mounted pulley, then back to the top of
raising fixture and bolted.  A mechanical advantage of only one pulley.

The HDX system was permanent and used afterwards for both tilting the tower
back down and up.  However the LM470 system was temporary and only used to
tilt the tower up once.  The towers two leg ears were bolted to
corresponding ears at the top of the raising fixture so that the tower
became like a teeter/totter although highly imbalanced.  The bracket and
sling was removed and discarded.  The pulley from the sling bracket was
installed in a bracket welded down at the bottom of the raising fixture.
The cable from the winch was then strung down, thru the bottom pulley and
bolted to the bottom of the tower.  No pulley mechanical advantage.  Only
the benefit of the tower pivoting about 8' from the bottom of tower at the
top of the raising fixture.

I was apprehensive about recabling the LM470 into the no mechanical
advang\tage pulley system and hoping that everything would be ok on the
first tilting back down so I modified the LM470 to be similar to the HDX
system.  Was I too cautious and is the teeter/totter action quite
satisfactory?

FYI The brake winches furnished have a "free wheeling mode" that can allow
the wieght of the tower to freely pull the cable out of the winch.  It can
be stopped by grabbing the winch handle at the risk of injury.  The brake
winch goes into the free wheeling mode when the load is removed from the
winch and the drum turned a bit.  It is necessary to tighten the winch from
this free wheeling mode in order to "latch?" the brake which then holds the
tower.  Fortunately I discovered this mode while the tower was just
beginning its free wheeling trip to the ground and I was able to grab the
handle when it was turning slowly.

k7puc