[TowerTalk] Yaesu G-450XL Rotor Proglem...Again

Wm. Freddy Curtis curtisf at dtccom.net
Sat Oct 25 14:40:01 EDT 2008

Guys,

The Yaesu G-450XL Rotor problem below has occurred again, after I replaced
the controller with another one (Same model) I bought off e-Bay. This is
frustrating.. I was careful not to have the rotor on while I was
transmitting on the Inverted L with the Amp during the CQWW SSB this
weekend.  Now the overlap indication light stays on all the time and even
though the rotor turns, the indicator stays on North.  I was wondering if
any of you have a "solution" as to why/how RF has gotten into the unit
again.  (I know ferrite beads on the rotor cable to be one solution, but
I've got to get a repair solution, first)  Any help or suggestions regarding
a possible repair and solution to this occurring again would be greatly
appreciated.

73's,

Wm. Freddy Curtis - KC4GUG

Smithville, TN

Tower Talkers:

I have A Yaesu G-450XL Antenna Rotor.  I have no problems with this unit
until recently.  After adding an Ameritron AL-811H amplifier, while going
into a 160 Inverted L with 60 radials, the rotor started going crazy.  The
overlap light is now permanently on red and the indicator starts spinning
when the amp is transmitting.  The rotor still turns when the switches are
depressed, but the indicator does not turn indicating direction.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated, especially those who repair Yaesu Rotors.
Thanks in advance!

73's,

Wm. Freddy Curtis - KC4GUG

Smithville, TN