[TowerTalk] Dorm room antenna?

kb8nnu at yahoo.com kb8nnu at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 01:03:32 EDT 2008

Greg,

I have a simple antenna idea that worked for me while I was at school.  I use to love working 20 meters while I was at school but the antenna restrictions/apartment living drove me nuts.  Here's what I did to make it happen.  I fabricated a mounting system that utilized one of those clamp on style mobile antenna mounts that has a universal 3/8-24 stud on it and a so-239 on the bottom.  I clamped this onto my rail and was able to use the readily available ham sticks for each band.  I was also able to use the hustler mobile antennas with the mast and the resonator at the top.  When I operated at night, I would go out and clamp the antenna on and then drop a counterpoise wire down that had 1/2 oz fishing sinker on it to keep it straight below my antenna.  I also put a simple current choke in line to prevent RF from coming back in and to reassure me that I would have four inflated tires in the morning.

This worked great for me and I made a lot of psk contacts...

Good luck,

Dave
KB8NNU