[TowerTalk] Amphenol PL259

Bill MacLane ai4wm at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 19:11:28 EDT 2008

Interesting how a simple PL-259 can generate so much I need to add my 2 cents worth.
I prefer the Amphenol connectors rather than others since they fit both RG-213, RG-8 and Belden 9914.  I have used plenty of the others including crimp.  I had a big distrust of crimp on RF connectors until I went to work for the largest connector mfg. in the world where we were required to use their product - crimp connectors.  They work fine, but ....  Anyway If it is solder the silver are much easier to solder and I prefer silver whether solder or crimp.  After a near disaster with changing dozens of PL-259s on Field Day one year (good preparation) I also switched to the solder center pin and crimp shield.  (also for other RF connectors)  As far as the insulator, stay away from all but the mil-spec or teflon for good reliability.  Quick, Reliable and much easier than any solder on connector.  I do not get compensation from or work for but do recommend RF Connection for the best prices, selection and support.

73,
Bill
AI4WM