[TowerTalk] New Cables for a Crank Up and NicoPress Clamps

Bob Maser bmaser at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Oct 29 11:03:48 EDT 2008

You will find that the crimp tool is about $150.  Mine is made by HK Porter
and I bought it about 15 years ago for $130 at that time.  You should not
use the aluminum Nicopress sleeves.  I always use the BeCu ones.  They are
much stronger.  BTW, I would replace all of the cables.  If I remember
correctly there are 3 pull up cables and 1 long pull down cable, all made
from 3/16 galvanized cable.  If you want to use stainless steel, you will
need to go to 1/4" because it is not as strong as the galvanized steel.
Then you may have a problem with interference on the pulleys.  I would also
not use the manual bolt tighten tool for crimping the sleeves.  Always make
sure that the end of the cable being crimped sticks out beyond the Nicopress
sleeve.
BTW, I have recabled 4 LM470's over the last 25 years.
Bob  W6TR