[TowerTalk] Lossy traps?

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Thu Oct 30 01:07:59 EDT 2008

> Do the "other elements" actually absorb some of the power
> creating an "IR???" loss of the source power?

The current in the trapped, parasitic element creates an
I^2R loss in the traps of that element.  The decrease in
current available for re-radiation represents an effective
I^2R loss to the driven element because there is less total
power available for radiation.

ANY loss in the antenna system represents an overall decrease
in efficiency.  The effective gain of an antenna is equal to
the directivity times the antenna efficiency.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV