[TowerTalk] Trap loss

Mike noddy1211 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 30 20:14:55 EDT 2008

Julio,

 would agree, having rebuilt the KT36 two times, each time taking weeks
rather than days from Black to Blue to Green insulating plugs (can't
remember the sequence now).  I would add the performance of this antenna is
great but, the maintenance is horrible.  The KT36 is not an easy antenna to
work with, it is heavy and awkward, it now sits at the bottom of my aluminum
scrap pile.  My 3 element Steppir along with two other Hams in town have
been up for over three years without any problems at all, if one takes time
to assemble and check everything carefully there should be no mechanical
problems.  I am sure there will be the odd electrical and small mechanical
failure from time to time, just because of the moving parts, but the
performance, weight and size make up for any of these potential problems.
Some of the mechanical problems that I have seen on the Steppir group have
been obvious operator error, this is probably due to people not
understanding the poor installation manual.  If I were Steppir I would hire
a good technical manual writer and get rid of one problem.

Mike, K6BR