[TowerTalk] Bury-Flex vs. LMR 400 UF, respon fr DAVIS RF

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Thu Oct 30 18:04:39 EDT 2008

Bury-Flex may be slightly less flexible than LMR400 UF, but I've found it
perfectly suitable for high-flex applications like rotor loops. Also, the
LMR400UF jacket is so soft that it tends to work loose from the threads of a
PL-259 connector if the cable is allowed to flex in that area. This greatly
diminishes the strain relief, which in turn can lead to the braid splitting
or breaking away from the connector. The jacket on Bury-Flex is more rigid,
so it doesn't work loose.

Also, the Bury-Flex jacket is much smoother than LMR400 UF. This can make
Bury-Flex a better choice for feeding antennas on a crankup tower if your
configuration allows the cables drop through the standoffs (as opposed to
fixing the coax to the standoffs.) Buryflex slides more smoothly through the
standoffs. I found that there was so much friction between the LMR 400 UF
jacket and the standoffs that the coax would bow out quite far from the
tower when it hit the ground. Once, this caused a snag. I replaced the run
with Bury-Flex and haven't seen it bow like that since.

73, Dick WC1M