[TowerTalk] repeating the N0AX/K7LXC studies

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 31 00:39:06 EDT 2008

Peter Voelpel wrote:
> [...]

The advantage of living in Southern California is that we have lots of
really tall, steep sided mountains. It's easy to arrange a probe antenna
  a few km away that's essentially on a 100s of meter high tower.

Or, you do the NBS/NIST reflection range thing and do the measurements
at multiple heights and distances over the measurement range.

For instance, at JPL, our range sits on top of a very steep sided knife
edge ridge above the lab, several hundred meters above the surrounding
terrain in most directions. We have transmitter sites on hillsides or
tops several km away over a valley. Not ideal for HF, because there IS
still stuff around, but pretty good.  At least there's airconditioning
and bathrooms and the cafeteria.

But, we could also go out to some garden spot like Danby dry lake, which
is almost perfectly flat and uniform for some 10s of km in all
directions.  There's a 3000m high mountain range adjacent with roads on
which a team could operate a HF source for testing.  However, Danby (and
places like it) are horrible places to spend any amount of time (I used
to go out there when I worked for the special effects company to shoot
car commercials, etc.)

Jim, w6rmk