[TowerTalk] Fwd: tower grounding

HansLG at aol.com HansLG at aol.com
Mon Sep 1 02:56:53 EDT 2008

Hi Dragonsong,

I believe the rebar cage will be totally isolated from ground as it is
surrounded by concrete. The concrete is a relative good electric insulator and
will therefor not be good for grounding the tower. You have to add grounding
rods outside the lump of cement holding your tower in place.

There is plenty of information of the "best way" to ground the tower. Two,
three grounding rod driven 8 feet into ground is, I believe, considered
acceptable grounding for lightning strikes. When it comes to RF grounding the  field
is open for suggestions. Little depending on the surrounding ground I,
myself, believe in radials stretch just above or on the surface of ground. Other
folks believe the radials have to be buried or left several feet  above ground.
The length and amount of radial is a science by itself  and I think the
advice is:" The more the better", up to some point that varies  between 15 to 60
radial.

Have fun with the tower and stay safe. K1TTT has some serious safety
warnings on his web site that you should look at.

73 de,

Hans, N2JFS