[TowerTalk] Dimensions of a tower concrete base

Bert Almemo balmemo at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 2 18:47:32 EDT 2008

Hi guys,

Thanks for all responses, comments and suggestions regarding the dimensions
of a concrete base for a tower or other support structure.

It seems almost everyone wants to elaborate on the issue and also wants to
put my question into different scenarios. Again, not being a structural
engineer, isn't there a general rule as to what design provides the best
support for a free standing tower or similar structure regardless of other
circumstances?

I was hoping to get some indication from the experts on TT which way to go
as I'm not spending thousands of dollars to use the services of a structural
engineer. I just want an opinion from you experienced guys. It's only a 55ft
free standing tower with a medium sized tri-bander on top. So far I'm more
confused than when I started this thread. Thanks.

73 Bert, VE3OBU