[TowerTalk] Foundation design

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Wed Sep 3 21:54:36 EDT 2008

Jim et al:

     I'm guessing that that tower failure was due to snapped HV lines on the tower that unbalanced the forces on that tower and possibly others along the power line's route (domino effect).  See how the opposite legs (away from camera position) are bent at top of concrete and how the HV lines drape down onto the pulled-out foundations near the camera?  That tells me that the tower is leaning backwards (or forwards) along the route the line took and not sideways.

     Based on my somewhat limited exposure to HV line designs while an engineer at the local power company (I had to design substation structures to dead-end these HV lines), the tension PER WIRE could be as high as 20,000 pounds.  Lots of force to be resisted by those concrete piers.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F