[TowerTalk] Conductivity of cement

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Sat Sep 6 14:41:33 EDT 2008

Yes, there is a bit of a difference.  Conduction in concrete is usually
ionic rather than electronic.  Much like a beaker full of salt water with
two electrodes, part of the conduction is from moving the heavy ions through
the solution.  This causes frequency dependent effects such that low
frequencies conduct much better than high frequencies, fortunately for ufer
it is good enough a conductor for power line and the 'relatively' low
frequency lightning components.  Capacitance between bonded rebar and the
soil, ionization of the small air gaps in the structure, and inductance of
the rebar and bonding conductors make the whole thing much more complicated
than you may expect on the surface.  Having participated in the setup and
analysis of large scale man made lightning experiments on ground rods and
radials I can attest to the complexity of the whole problem.  Even lightning
in soil is a complex phenomenon, including conduction, ionization of air
gaps, and even streamers that follow relatively random paths for some
distance... to add to the confusion the ionization and deionization time
constants are different, and effects of the surface of the soil make it even
stranger by distorting the fields in the soil and above it... one of our
first full size tests on a ground rod was early in the morning, we quickly
learned that we had to wait for the grass to dry out or we lost lots of our
current to visible arcs through the wet grass.  Later in the day after the
sun dried it out and the grass was trimmed back things were a bit more
controllable.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net