[TowerTalk] Running coax outside to tower on cable tray

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 7 20:44:47 EDT 2008

Roger White wrote:
> My tower is about 30 feet from the shack in the garage. I am presently running multiple coax and a rotator cable thru a 4 inch buried pipe to the tower. I want to run some more cable (a CAT5 for now) and in the future have easier access for future expansion, repair, etc. Has anyone used outside a cable tray (possibly elevated) to run their coax, etc. to the tower? I have a fence near the tower so I can run the coax to the fence and then attach an elevated tray of sorts, so the elevated portion should not be in the way as it goes to the garage (shack). I have seen cable trays inside of buildings, but do not need something as wide as these, just enough width to hold 4 to 5 coaxes and a few other cables.
>
> Roger W5RDW
> Murphy, Texas
> __

I've used conventional rain gutter to do this kind of thing. Run a 2x4
or something along the bottom for rigidity. It's easy to just lay
another cable in.

You can get very small cable trays (the ladder kind).. check out places
that do network cabling.  Heck, McMaster-Carr might have it too.

Jim, W6RMK