[TowerTalk] Running coax to tower

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Sep 8 15:47:55 EDT 2008

Roger Cooke wrote:
> <snip>
>
>    At my previous place I did have an 80ft length of 4inch water pipe buried in the ground coming up into the shack. I was able to put three coax cable through that using a draw cable, but after that it all got into an awful mess, as the cables tended to corkscrew around each other. I gave up on that idea.

I'm running 6 runs of LMR-400, 4 runs of RG-6, a rotator cable to the
PST-61, a control cable to the remote antenna switch, and a C-band
satellite dish cable containing 2 RG-6, the positioner control and
position indicator wires through 75' of 4" (
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm ) which has four 45
degree fittings to make two wide sweep 90s. The LMR 400 is coming out to
be replaced by 3 or 4 runs of LMR-600.  I've had no problems getting
cables in or out.  (Note the second photo from the top) Sure they wind
around each other but that's never been a problem.  I do use lots of
"wire soap" which makes pulling in even the larger cables fairly easy as
long as there is room.

73

Roger (K8RI)