[TowerTalk] Noise

w4lde w4lde at numail.org
Tue Sep 9 12:15:41 EDT 2008

If this question is inappropriate for the reflector I apologize but as
of last Friday I started to experience significant noise (S-9) on all
bands from 160 through 15M with the lower frequencies much stronger.  I
thought that it was due to power line noise but it appears to be
intermittent in that it completely disappeared last Friday evening but
once again showed up last Saturday and stayed this way.  On the Ft1000mp
the noise blankers are completely ineffective.  At the same time I
started having internet problems and the cable company indicated they
should have the speed issue fixed by Tuesday.

The cables are run on poles until they enter a subdivision which then
run underground.  My question is can cable lines be the possible problem
to HF frequencies?  The power and cable companies have been installing
new poles and running new lines in the area which initially led me to
believe it was a power issue however, while I was writing this email the
noise completely disappeared for a few seconds and then reappeared.  As
I was looking out my window I noticed a cable company buck truck
through the woods towards the main road, I am off now to talk to them
and see what I can discover.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for the bandwidth if this question is inappropriate for this
reflector.

73 de
Ron W4LDE