[TowerTalk] Lightning Protection of rotors/remote switches etc

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Tue Sep 16 13:11:29 EDT 2008

Ed:

     I convinced myself that Polyphasers are NOT weatherproof and ought to be mounted in some sort of enclosure out of doors.  To that end, I mounted a Hoffman steel enclosure at the bottom of my tower and bolted the Poly's to the side wall, with their SO-239's protruding through holes in the enclosure. The Poly's come with a rubber o-ring gasket that installs between the enclosure wall and the Poly box from the inside.

     Also installed in this enclosure is my remote antenna switch.  I had to install 0.001 uF ceramic caps on the control lines to ground in the in-shack controller to keep the LEDs from blowing during lightning storms.  But I believe that was before I had installed the Poly protector for these DC lines.

73 de
Gene Smar AD3F