[TowerTalk] buried ground connections - a 13-year data point

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Sep 19 02:07:49 EDT 2008

Dick Green WC1M wrote:
> You're lucky, Pete. About 12 years ago I dug up a rod that had been in the
> ground only 3 years. The clamp had completely disintegrated and the wire was
> no longer connected to the rod. Must be a lot more acid in our soil up here
> in NH, maybe from all that acid rain the factories in the Midwest used to
> send over here.
>
> This is why I converted to Cadweld joints. So far, they're holding up well,
> even after 11 years.

I put in some temporary grounds using the acorn type connector as I was
going to be removing them shortly. Unfortunately it was nearly a year
before the back hoe could get in to change out the septic tank. Of
course this is the same one that hooked a cable and pulled several
blocks right out of the basement wall.  When I dug them up no one was
making a good connection and I had made sure they were tight to begin.

BTW, my cables and grounds now go through the end plate rather than the
block wall.  They'd end up pulling up conduit, and pulling the NEMA
enclosure off the wall before damaging any thing really expensive.

73

Roger (K8RI)