[TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Apr 5 11:10:27 PDT 2009

It seems like most every one is thinking along the same
lines...IE...Gain when often, and particularly so on the lower bands,
front to back and front to side may be as, or even more important than gain.

I strongly disagree with the premise that the dipole/2L yagi is always
the better receiving antenna as well. It may be better most of the time,
but I've found times on 40 and 75 where the vertical cut down on state
side QRN bringing the DX up well above the noise.

On 20, 15, & 10 a roof mounted vertical should do well and the bands are
often long enough that stateside QRN is not a problem.

So, as others have said, it all depends on what you want to do and how
much work you wish to put in. Try to use the vertical as a limited space
antenna and you are likely to be disappointed. OTOH they are low
profile, and a good installation works well.  Generally the multi band
verticals are not great performers, but you still hear people rave about
them.  Good band conditions and nothing to compare them against and most
anything will work.  I worked a guy on 6-meters in Central America who
was testing his rig on the work bench with a piece of wire stuck in the
coax connector.

73

Roger (K8RI)