[TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement

RLVZ at aol.com RLVZ at aol.com
Sun Apr 5 12:29:43 PDT 2009

Hi Guys,

TT is tremendous- what a wonderful wealth of information is shared!

I am NOT trying to stir up trouble here as I am very thankful for  modeling
software like EZNEC.  But I'm hoping that the accuracy of modeling  software
will continue to improve.

RadioIR (below) states how EZNEC is not always accurate.

A few weeks ago, I posted an e-mail on how in dozens of side by side
comparisons my single 40-m. 1/4 wave vertical near saltwater worked at  least as
well, if not better, than a new Cushcraft XM-240 Shorty-Forty at  90' in all
directions the vertical looks over saltwater: Europe, Africa,  and South America.
Computer modeling indicated that the Shorty Forty  should have about a 10dB
advantage over the vertical with  saltwater.  (and the vertical has a minimal
radial  system: two 1/4 radials and a single 2" copper  strap saltwater)

My hope is that more actual side by side antenna comparison  information can
be used to improve modeling accuracy.

73,
Dick- K9OM

_RadioIR at charter.net_ (mailto:RadioIR at charter.net)  writes:

W8JI  said:  "I virtually never use the high dipole /(the 300ft one)/.
The  220 foot vertical or the 1/4 wave verticals beat it at almost any
distance, close or far. Only on very rare occasions is the 300 foot high
dipole equal or better at ANY distance. "
-end quote

This is not  verifiable with EZNEC, but I do trust Tom's judgment at
evaluating  antennas.  EZNEC says the high dipole should be better at all
distances (in the dipoles best direction).

Also I was expecting  that the 3 element 160 Yagi of OH0X to be louder
than it is.  It  doesn't seem much louder that the other OH stations.  It
puts out a  good signal but I'll bet a four square would give it a run
for the money  (just a feeling).  Of course EZNEC would not agree to
that.   EZNEC shows the Yagi should win by a bunch of dBs.