[TowerTalk] Balun For Dipole

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Apr 5 15:54:31 PDT 2009

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 22:19:55 -0000, W3YY wrote:

>The BA-8 appears to be an implementation of a balun design that appears it
>the ARRL Antenna Handbook.

>Do you just think this type of balun is ineffective or do you think that
>Palomar implemented it incorrectly, e.g., wrong ferrite mix or something
>like that?

The Palomar "balun" is a VERY poor imitation of W2DU's ferrite bead "balun,"
which is fundamentally a common mode choke. W2DU's design (from roughly 30
years ago) is solid, but my enhancements of it improve on W2DU's design by
about 20 dB. All of this is discussed in the tutorial I referenced.
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC