[TowerTalk] Cage dipole revisited.

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Apr 9 17:32:52 PDT 2009

Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:

>About a month ago (4 March), I posted about a newly hatched business plan of
>mine and referred to a cage dipole that sold for $350 and had 5dBd claimed
>gain.  There was possibly an implication in my post that **any such claim**
>was a **lie**, and that I had some specific knowledge that a factual
>mis-statement must be taking place if such a statement is made.
>
>I have since been contacted by an individual whose company sells an antenna
>meeting that description, and that individual assures me that the gain claim
>for his company's antenna is truthful,  based on an engineering analysis,
>and he is concerned that my implication could be harmful to his business,
>given the truthful nature of his gain claims for his company's antenna.
>
>So I feel I should apologize for any implication that those who sell cage
>dipoles with with gain over dipoles are lying. I did not intend to
>misrepresent the truth or falsehood of the claims of others.
>
>Based on long established, daily tested antenna physics, any such antenna is
>impossible, since it would have to be around 300 percent efficient.  I
>cannot know and do not know, however, if those who claim such things are
>truthful.   I can only factually maintain that the antenna is impossible.
>
>However, do not take this retraction to mean that have given up on my
>business plan of 4 March, as I think there's still a market, and in fact, I
>am assured that I have fewer competitors than I thought.
>

>73
>Dan

Hardly impossible, Dan. All you have to do is model the subject antenna
over ground with NEC (e.g. engineering analysis) and then compare that
field strength to a free-space dipole reference (2.15dBi). That should
be good for close to just under +6dBd :-). False - NO, misleading - YOU
BETCHA.

That seems to be the key to a lot of successful advertising - mislead
without actually making any false statements (i.e. leave out the details).