[TowerTalk] Guyed tower question

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Apr 10 03:39:18 PDT 2009

When we put up my Rohn 25 (97 feet) we used stout rope guys on the
first part (20 feet on a pier pin), added the third and 4th sections,
put the first set of permanent guys on at 31 feet, and then proceeded
to stack the 5th through 7th sections before adding the second set of
permanent guys at 62 feet.  No temporary guys were used once the
first set of permanent guys were in place.  I will say that when I
was at the bottom of the 7th section, adding the second guy set, the
pucker-inducing sway was pretty impressive (this was my first
tower-building experience).  Revisiting it, I think I would have felt
better with a set of temporary rope guys at the middle of the 6th
section.  After that it wasn't bad, because the third set of guys
were at 92 feet, so there wasn't such a long self-supporting span.

With Rohn 45, I don't believe it would sway nearly so much.

73, Pete N4ZR