[TowerTalk] Cage dipole revisited.

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Apr 10 19:56:08 PDT 2009

Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:
> About a month ago (4 March), I posted about a newly hatched business plan of
> mine and referred to a cage dipole that sold for $350 and had 5dBd claimed
> gain.  There was possibly an implication in my post that **any such claim**
> was a **lie**, and that I had some specific knowledge that a factual
> mis-statement must be taking place if such a statement is made.
>
> I have since been contacted by an individual whose company sells an antenna
> meeting that description, and that individual assures me that the gain claim
> for his company's antenna is truthful,  based on an engineering analysis,
> and he is concerned that my implication could be harmful to his business,
> given the truthful nature of his gain claims for his company's antenna.
>
> So I feel I should apologize for any implication that those who sell cage
> dipoles with with gain over dipoles are lying. I did not intend to
> misrepresent the truth or falsehood of the claims of others.

If it is truly a cage dipole then it has no gain over a regular dipole
or 2.2 db gain over an isotropic source.
I've not seen the literature the other company has so they may not have
a true "cage dipole". However the name "Cage Dipole" is a "common use"
name with an established reference that goes back many years. It is
generic to a family of dipoles made of wire, or tubing that effectively
increases the diameter of the dipole thus lowering the Q and widening
the bandwidth.  It has been widely shown with widely available data to
have no gain over a regular dipole, but a wider bandwidth based on
diameter to length ratio.

I've also seen a Yagi design using the cage dipole principle for the
driven element, but that is a Yagi not a cage dipole antenna.

Claims that a cage dipole has higher gain that those accepted are a bit
more than optimistic.
As it is a well established principle/design it should not be
patentable, but strange things do happen..

73

Roger (K8RI)