[TowerTalk] Cage dipole revisited.

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Apr 10 21:52:45 PDT 2009

> > Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:
> >
> >> There was possibly an implication in my post that **any
> >> such claim** was a **lie**, and that I had some specific
> >> knowledge that a factual mis-statement must be taking
> >> place if such a statement is made.

Put simply, for such claim to be valid the feed impedance
of the cage dipole would need to be substantially less than
50 Ohms such that the total current flowing in the cage
elements was approximately 3.16 times the current flowing
in the single element dipole.  For an antenna to show gain
the product of current and length must increase ... e.g.,
the same current in a larger area or more current in the
same area.  Since the cage dipole is shorter than a normal
half wave dipole (L/D ratio), the only way it can show gain
is through an increased current.

Note there is no "current times number of wires" advantage
for the cage dipole because the current in the element is
divided (equally) among he number of wires in the cage.  The
only gain is a slight increase in antenna efficiency due to
decrease in I^2 * R losses  (the resistive losses in a five
wire cage would be only 20% of those in a single wire dipole
using the same wire).  However, since the resistive losses
in copper or aluminum antenna elements is exceedingly small,
the increase in efficiency represents only a small fraction
of a dB in antenna "gain" and is dwarfed by environmental
factors.

All of this is basic electromagnetics and is discussed
fully by Kraus and others in the standard antenna texts.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV