[TowerTalk] "Superloop" & other Field Day antennas

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Sat Apr 11 07:25:01 PDT 2009

A quick modeling job on the superloop shows that the gain in its best
direction is very close to that of a dipole at the height of the top
wire on both 80 and 40 (probably within 1 dB).  Maximum gain is
perpendicular to the plane of the loop on 40 and 80.  The SWR bandwidth
on both 40 and 80 is much narrower than that of a dipole.

On 20 meters the pattern changes to a 4 lobe pattern with maximum
radiation at about 45 degrees to the plane of the loop.  There is a null
broadside to the loop.  The lobes are skinny (beamwidth about 35
degrees).  The gain in those lobes is about the same as a dipole.  The
SWR on 20 and 15 is very high, so if you feed it with coax there will be
a lot of feedline loss.

On 15 meters the pattern turns into lots of lobes and nulls and the gain
of the lobes is much less than that of a dipole.  It looks poor on 15.

Jerry, K4SAV