[TowerTalk] Cage dipole revisited.

K1TTT K1TTT at ARRL.NET
Sat Apr 11 08:57:50 PDT 2009

> > Any dipole mounted somewhere above a good ground, could have some gain
> in
> > some directions ... compared to a dipole in free space ... and so it
> would
> >
> exhibit a positive dBd number.  And many do.  There is no snake oil in
> that.
>

>  Really?
>
> Do you know of a product that would allow me to mount my comparison dipole
> in free space for tests?
>
> To use dBd to refer specifically to a dipole in free space is misleading
> marketing BS.

But this is MARKETING, they thrive on things like that.  No one says you
have to be able to measure it, or that it could even be compared to anything
buildable on earth.  Manufacturers have quoted gain against isotropic to get
those couple extra db in the past, can you build a real isotropic radiator?
Caveat Emptor, ab asino lanam, corruptio optimi pess, bonitas non est
pessimis esse meliorem, adversus solem ne loquitor, etc, etc, etc...

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net