[TowerTalk] New 259B Analyzer.... need Elmer(s)

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Apr 13 10:58:03 PDT 2009

Tim N9PUZ wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>

>> As far as I know, the '259 itself draws zero current when it is shut off.
>>
>> Rechargeable batteries do indeed self-discharge, at higher rates than
>> primary (non-rechargeable) batteries.
>>

> For items like the antenna analyzer that may be used infrequently I
> prefer NiCd batteries over NiMh. They typically have a lower
> self-discharge rate. Some older vintage MFJ-259B units did not have a
> battery access hatch and changing primary cells was a bigger project
> than the newer models.

I use plain old batteries.  They last nearly forever if the unit is not
turned on such as the infamous turn on when put away leaving the owner
saying, "I know I turned it off before I put it away".    Local ham had
that problem a number of times.  I've forgotten and left mine on over
night and still used it for weeks afterwards, but "on time" is
important. With normal use they should last for many months. Get a "wall
wart" of the proper voltage to power the thing.  They make a great "tune
up" tool. OTOH they may come with one now days.

As far as rechargeables I'd use Lith Ion, except I've not found any good
AA size that last. The ones for my cameras, which are of course, custom,
proprietary, expensive, odd shaped, etc... last for many months with
many hundreds of photos per charge. The custom ones for my HTs also last
a long time.

BTW that ring around the on/off button as has already been mentioned, is
new and a handy battery saver.

73

Roger (K8RI)