[TowerTalk] KR600X - Help needed

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Apr 13 13:14:11 PDT 2009

Stewart GM4AFF wrote:
>I have a faulty KR600X - an older KenPro model - azimuth part of the az/el
>version. It behaves as if it hits the CCW limit at around 060 degrees,
>giving me only about 120 degrees of rotation. Clockwise limit is fine.
>Anyone got any ideas? Seems a simple enough thing, but do I get a lapful of
>ball-bearings if I open it up?

Not if you open it inside a big, deep roasting tray.

Turn the whole rotator upside-down first, then remove the lower ring.
Let the balls from the lower race fall into the tray, and then turn the
whole thing right-side up again <while still holding the top and bottom
halves together>.  Now you can safely lift off the top cover.

What you may find is that a tooth has broken off the inside of the final
ring gear at the 120deg position, causing it to jam. I had that problem
several times with the old EME antenna, which was parked for long
periods in precisely the same position, so all the metal fatigue was
concentrated into that one tooth.

The old Kenpro line of rotators was purchased by Yaesu many years ago,
and I don't know which if any of the current Yaesu spares might still be
compatible.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek