[TowerTalk] Tower height -V- landscape undulations

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Apr 14 13:11:40 PDT 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 19:43:38 +0100, John E. Cleeve wrote:

>I discovered the disc inside the back cover.

It is worth chasing down later editions of this program. The
changes are subtle, but nice. Don't ask me what they were. :) One
issue you will face is finding terrain data. The program includes
accessories to download US terrain data and import it into the
software, but I don't know if that covers your area. (I'm noticing
your G3 call).

N6BV, who wrote HFTA, is a member of our local contest club. When
I was getting started, I had trouble getting the terrain data
import to work, and he pointed me to an update of the procedures
on the ARRL website. That was three years ago, and the current
version probably has those updates.

You CAN, however, manually input data from your own terrain maps.
You do this by drawing radials for several miles from your QTH on
a topological map and picking off points at suitbable intervals,
then manually entering that data. When I was in the process of
learning HFTA, I did that for two radials at my own QTH. A lot of
work, but it works. As I recall, it took me an hour for the first
radial, about half that for the second. My terrain is QUITE
irregular, and N6BV's advice was to use the most detailed data I
could get (the more detailed of the online data).

73,

Jim Brown K9YC