[TowerTalk] Hardline ?

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Apr 19 03:22:31 PDT 2009

Many years ago, W4AN (SK) came up with a way to use a common plumbing
adapter - I think it was 1/2" water pipe to 1/2 inch copper tubing -
to put an Amphenol UHF barrel connector on the end of CATV hardline.
The advantage of his approach was that it required no machining, only
a little silver soldering and hacksaw work on the barrel.  You should
be able to google for this - I remember it was on the cq-contest and
towertalk reflectors several times, so their searchable archives
would be another place to look.

Your RG-214 is 50-ohm cable, while the CATV stuff is presumably
75-ohm.  Unless you cut the hardline (plus a pigtail of RG-11 for
ease in adjusting the length) to a multiple of 1/2 wavelength at the
lowest frequency you intend to use, it will act as a transformer.  If
it is an odd multiple of 1/4 wavelength long (the worst case) and you
attach it to a perfect 50-ohm load, the impedance at the shack end
will be around 110 ohms.  If the load is reactive, the effect is worse.

I used the 1/2-wave solution for about 10 years (I think it was
actually 1.5 wavelengths at 160 meters) and it worked fine.

73, Pete