[TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 19 07:32:02 PDT 2009

Jim Brown wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:00:50 EDT, RLVZ at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Yes- do have poor performance with verticals, but you mentioned that you
>> live in a heavily wooded area.  Verticals work poorly in heavily  wooded
>> areas so I don't believe that's a fair environment to compare verticals
>> to horizontals.
>
> I've looked for published scientific work on this and all I've found
> addresses VHF/UHF (either military, 2-way, or cellular applications). What
> I've seen generally agrees that absorption that increases with frequency,
> and that correlates with my experience. Can you point me to anything that
> addresses MF or HF in forests and heavy vegetation?
>
> 7

Your best bet is to look for reports produced in the 60s and 70s in
connection with the Vietnam War.  George Hagn, among others, when he was
at SRI did a lot of tests.  Most doesn't show up as pubs in IEEE
journals, but is in various DTIC stuff.

That said, I don't recall seeing much.

There's also some papers by Caviolotti(sp?) on propagation in layered
inhomogenous media (which is what a forest over ground is) in Trans on A&P.

I'll see if I can dig up some references next week.