[TowerTalk] Antenna quality and support

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 09:30:10 PDT 2009

I have had the lightweight version of the 40M4LLDD for a little over a year.
It's been rock solid, mechanically. We get lots of wind here, but no ice. K1TTT
has had numerous ice issues with his 40M4LLDD's. Check out K1TTT's web site for
pictures and descriptions of what he has done to strengthen the weak areas. I'm
not sure there is any hope for this antenna with 1" or more of radial ice.

One interesting electrical characteristic I have noticed - with the dual driven
elements, it is optimized for a low SWR from 7000 to 7300. However, you don't
have to go outside the band very much to see the SWR soar. Consequently, when
it's windy and I'm operating near the band edge, I see lots of SWR bounce as the
element spacings change, causing the knee of the SWR curve to move inside the band.

When I got my antenna, availability and support from M2 couldn't have been
better. Call them up and ask for Jeremy.

73,
Steve, N2IC