[TowerTalk] Hardline ?

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Apr 20 20:31:58 PDT 2009

Yes Bob, that is exactly right.

My point was that you can not express any additional loss due to mismatch
unless you know what the matched loss of the line is in the first place.

Just to say that "with 1.5:1 vswr the line has 0.18dB additional loss due to
mismatch regardless of line length" is incorrect and meaningless.

If for example our matched line (perfect theoretical line) had zero dB of
loss and we then introduce a 1.5:1 swr load to it, there would still be zero
dB of total loss. The mismatch by itself would not introduce any loss to the
system.

Mismatched loss comes from the reflected power traveling up and down a lossy
line. As you stated the additional mismatch loss amount is directly in
relation to the matched loss of the line.

On another note, if a section of half wave 75 ohm line is used on a 50 ohm
system there will be zero reflected power indicated at the transmitter end
of the line if a 50 ohm swr bridge is used. However there will still be a
1.5:1 swr on that 75 ohm line section and it will suffer the additional loss
due to mismatch over what it would if it was terminated in 75 ohms. That
additional mismatch loss will be proportionate to the matched loss of the
line as discussed above.

73
Gary  K4FMX