[TowerTalk] "Stubborn" tower section

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Apr 21 06:12:48 PDT 2009

In a message dated 4/21/2009 5:34:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I purchased eight sections of used Rohn 25G last summer and  it's finally
going up. While test fitting the sections, I find that I have  one
"stubborn"
section - it will not go onto nor will it accept any of the  other sections
without the application of considerable force. (This seems  like a strange
combination; one would think that if the "female" leg  bottoms were smallish
vis a vis accepting "male" leg tops, then it's own  leg tops would be
smallish, too, and easily accepted by the "other"  sections.)

>  Since it's not a perfect world, there must be  some customary means of
dealing with an errant section like this. Does one  use clamps or a jack and
pulleys to exert the needed force?

    More information please. Is one of the legs out  of alignment,
preventing the sections from pulling together or do the legs  line up and you can't
pull them together?

    Bending the legs is easy enough on the ground.  Use a piece of pipe as
a pry bar and in a minute or two they'll line up.

    If they won't pull together, check for an  obstruction - typically some
over-galvanizing. Use a round file to make it  smooth and try it again.

    To install, first make sure there is grease  inside the leg. You can
either use a TowerJack or comealong to pull the  sections together.

    Since this is a used tower, it went together  before. Perhaps there was
some sort of problem introduced by the previous  install; e.g.
over-tightening the joint bolts and ovalizing the leg.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH

steps!