[TowerTalk] RG11 75ohm and 4 square 80m

Paul Playford paul at w8aef.com
Tue Apr 21 11:01:02 PDT 2009

Very important when using elevated radials: they will affect the resonant
frequency of the element.  When I installed my 4 squares I first installed
two wires in the form of a 1/2 wave dipole (fed at the center) at their
final elevation above ground.  Then trimmed them to length at my target
frequency of the array.  Then I cut the rest of the radials to the same
length and installed them.

I use 4 radials under each element but a friend of mine likes to use 8
radials.  I suspect 8 radials will work a little better, but how much?

Do not let the radials touch each other where they cross.  On 40m I burned
holes through two layers of 600 volt insulation where they used to touch.

After all of the radials were installed I then installed the vertical
elements and tuned them per Comtek instructions against the radials.

Everyone refers to the feed lines as phasing lines, however I call them
impedance transformers.  A bit of 1/4 wavelength transformer magic: 36 ohms
at the feed point of the element becomes 72 ohms at the Comtek box -
parallel two elements (the side elements) and you are back to 36 ohms.  So
the front element has an swr of 1.5:1, the side elements have an swr of
1.5:1 and the rear element has an swr of 1.5:1.  This assumes the output
ports on the Comtek box are 50 ohms.  Neat.

Which means that 1/2 wavelength lines will not work, gotta be either 1/4
wavelength or 3/4 wavelength.

You must use foam dielectric cable for the lines with a velocity factor of
about .8 to physically reach from the Comtek box to each element.  Solid
dielectric coax will be too short.

And don't believe the manufacturers spec when it comes to velocity factor:
the first set of lines for my 40m 4sq were almost too short.  2nd set
(different coax manufacturer) were plenty long.

My first set of impedance transformers (phasing lines) for my 80 and 40m 4
squares were cut using an MFJ-259B.  Trim for 0 ohms reactance (resonance)
and ignore swr.

The lines for my 40m 4sq went missing when I returned from TX5C so I used my
VNA to trim new ones - same method - 0 ohms reactance and ignore the swr.

Both of my 4 squares are optimized for 25 KHz up from the bottom of the band
but they are still effective across the whole band.  When you use the Comtek
box the swr at the transmitter doesn't mean much, but you do want to be able
to observe the power going to the 5th port.

My 30m4sq uses parasitic feed and is a whole different ballgame.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2JI/ZF2TA  FO8DX/FO8PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A  VU7RG  TX5C