[TowerTalk] Stealth Paint ( was Rohn 25 Rusting)

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Apr 23 22:30:31 PDT 2009

For what it may be worth, the picture at the link below was taken
roughly 300 feet distant from my tower.  The tower is 70 feet tall, four
feet across at the base tapering to about 20 inches across at the top,
and there are two Optibeam yagis on the 15 foot mast.  Both tower and
antennas were painted with flat exterior grade latex paint in the colors
of black, brown, and olive green.  The tower is about 1/4 of the way
from the right hand side of the picture, and the neighbors tell me they
rarely can spot them.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee141/xazdave/AB7E_OB2-40_over_OB16-3_camo_from_1.jpg

It helps, of course, that I have a hillside for a visual backdrop, but
even out in the open flat dark colors are much less conspicuous.
Compare a wooden telephone pole with still lots of dark creosote to a
typical ham tower at the same distance to see what I mean.  I gained
brownie points with the neighbors simply by virtue of the fact I made an
obvious and significant attempt to mitigate the visual impact of my
installation.

The paint sticks great to the tower, but less durably so to the aluminum
antennas.

73,
Dave   AB7E