[TowerTalk] AB-577 Surface Guy Anchors?

Robert West robert.west at eatmoresoap.com
Sun Apr 26 10:23:14 PDT 2009

Hello all.  I have acquired one of the AB-577 mast kits with the extension
to 75'.   I am needing to erect this on a parking lot type area, asphalt.
We are not permitted to penetrate the asphalt so we need to fabricate a
method to anchor the guys on the surface, such as with weights.  I've seen a
method that is used for a non-penetrating mount for large dish antennas on
roofs that consist of steel angle iron welded in a frame and filled with
concrete cinder blocks bolted together with threaded rod so that they don't
move.  Works well in that usage but how about something similar for a guy
anchor?  This is a temporary thing so it would need to be easily removed.
But my real question is, besides any other ideas, how heavy would I need to
make these 3 weights?  The height is 75' and is rated for 75mph wind.  Would
feel safer if the guy anchors could give us 100mph just to be on the safe
side.    Maybe a layer or 2 of block and then sandbags?

Any ideas?