[TowerTalk] Storing Liquid Electrical Tape.

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Apr 26 13:39:45 PDT 2009

I think I may have mentioned this before, but if I did I think it still
bears repeating.

Liquid Electrical Tape has become quite popular as it works so well for
many applications.

The problem with it, like PVC pipe joint compound is the solvent tends
to evaporate once the can has been opened.

I have been placing the complete can (tightly closed) inside a glass jar
with a sealing type lid (IE Mason Jars).  I've found that this keeps the
material from becoming thick or even solid.

The same approach has worked well for the family of RTVs such as
Silastic RTV (TM). Put the tubes inside sealed plastic boxes such as
TupperWare, or use the glass jars.  I have some Silastic RTV that is
approaching 15 years old and is still good.  I purchased it from the
company store just before retiring and if they had it, the stuff had to
be close to the expiration date.  Even unopened tubes tend to solidify
within a few years after the expiration date, but they seem to last a
very long time when sealed up in a jar or good plastic box that is vapor
proof.

73

Roger (K8RI)