[TowerTalk] 40Meter Project for Beam and Tower Mounting

AD5VJ Bob rtnmi at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 26 21:34:03 PDT 2009

I am looking around on ebay, texas towers, and google at tubing sizes for masts, booms and elements.

Planning a build for a forty meter rotatable dipole and later adding a reflector and perhaps even a director to it. But since it is
my first Home Brew beam project, I want to start small and work my way up to a final useful result.

I will also have on the tower a TH7DX Tribander for 20/15/10, a DS50-4HP 4Element for 6 meters, a Cushcraft 13b2 2 meter and a KLM
18c for 440 in that order from bottom to top - I am thinking of spacing of about two feet from antenna to antenna.

Now I could put all of this on the same tower or I have another Rohn 25 which is about 25 feet at present and could split off the
UHF/VHF onto that tower. Not sure the best way to go there.

I think I have a handle on the type of AL to use (6061-T6) for the Boom and the Mast and it looks like perhaps 7/8" to 1" for Boom
approx 24 feet long and 1&1/2 inch for MAST (10'long) nested 4 foot into a HamIV Rotor mounted inside rohn25 with the tapered top
section.

My concern is what wall thickness do I want to use on the Boom and on the Mast. The diameters are right (I think) but not sure of
the wall thicknesses.

Bob AD5VJ