[TowerTalk] Antenna Question

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Tue Apr 28 06:03:03 PDT 2009

Bob,

The answer is a little more complicated than might at first appear.

Let's assume the feedpoint impedance of your dipole is 64+j0 at
resonance. That will indeed result in a 7:1 SWR on the open-wire line,
referenced to 450 ohms.

But, depending on its length, the open-wire line will transform that
impedance to something between 64 ohms - if it's an even multiple of a
quarter-wave - and 3164 ohms if its an odd number of quarter waves. So
if you then transition to coax, the SWR (referenced to 50 ohms) will be
anywhere from 64/50=1.3:1 to 3164/50=63.3:1. Do you see that it's the
IMPEDANCE at the transition which is the fixed parameter, not the SWR.

I'm not sure what your planned overall system comprises, but we would
typically place a current balun at the transition between the open-wire
and the coax. Whether or not an impedance transformation like 4:1 is
useful will depend on the design of the rest of the system. Unless
you've done the calculations and know that a 4:1 will help, a 1:1 is the
better "default" choice.

Finally, I hope you can see that you can't simply take the SWR and
divide it by the balun ratio - you have to be dealing in impedances, not
SWR. Here's why:

Suppose I take a 200 ohm and place it across the end of a length of 50
ohm coax - I'll have an SWR of  200/50=4:1.
If I now place a 4:1 balun between the 200 ohm load and the coax, I'll
reduce the load impedance by a factor of 4 and the SWR on the coax will
be 1:1
In that case the SWR has indeed been reduced by an amount equivalent to
the balun ratio.

But now repeat the experiment with a 20 ohm load.
Without the balun the SWR on the coax will be 50/20=2.5:1
Now introduce the balun and the load impedance will drop to 5 ohms,
giving an SWR of 10:1
In that case we've INCREASED the SWR by the balun ratio.
If we'd connected the balun the other way round (1:4) the load impedance
would rise to 80 ohms giving us an SWR of 80/50=1.6:1

Do you see that there is no simple relationship between the SWRs and the
balun ratio. And the link between the two is even more tenuous if the
balun is positioned between feedlines having different characteristic
impedances - for example 400 ohm ladderline and 50 ohm coax.

Hope that helps some,
Steve G3TXQ