[TowerTalk] Wood constructed tower

Dan Zimmerman N3OX n3ox at n3ox.net
Thu Apr 30 20:36:10 PDT 2009

Guys, I don't want to try to throw cold water on the thread, but K2VI, do
you think your local authorities will give you a building permit (or that
you need one) for a 40 foot wooden lookout tower type structure ?

I feel like something where you can walk upstairs 40 feet to a 5x5 foot
platform might fall under different code rules than the steel tower you
already have...

Sounds like a cool idea otherwise... be a nice place to hang out and
overlook the neighborhood in the summer ;-)  Plus if that's your son in that
QRZ pic I bet he'd love to have this thing in the backyard.

But before planning goes too far, you might look in to the permit
requirements, etc to find out if  you should be pondering motorized or
manual winch driven tilt-overs instead.

Maybe you can find a loophole, it'll go a little like this, from King of the
Hill:

*Dale*: Gentlemen, I'm sure you recall my long dreamt dream about building a
> guard tower in my yard. *Hank*: Dale, the zoning board has turned you down
> *six times* and the last refusal was with extreme prejudice. *Dale*: True,
> but for a structure under 40 feet no variance is needed. Soon you'll live
> under the protection of my *39 foot* guard tower! The zoning board has no
> say. *Hank*: Dale, that is --[Dale cuts him off mid-sentence]... *Dale*:
> NO SAY!

73,
Dan